Sunday, May 19, 2013

A moment- Chapter 23

Throughout the book and Chapter 23, I believe Holden is coming to terms with who he really is and what he can accomplish. We never really see Holden cry, even throughout all the obstacles in the Big Apple has thrown in his path, but in Chapter 23, we see Holden cry for a very odd reason. It doesn't quite say what for but I think he was realizing what he was turning into and how he will never be able to take back the actions he has done. Holden is rushing and speeding along to get out of the house, once his parents arrived home. I think this chapter really brings out the sensitive side in Holden. We imagine this tough kid, who wants to be alone.. but as he sits on Phoebe's bed to tie his shoes, he just cries. It makes me wonder if he is trying to be tough to show us something or to get attention. Many of his actions and thoughts make me think that this Chapter is foreshadowing a suicide attempt. At the end of the chapter, Holden has gotten out of the house but then says ".. I didn't give much of a damn any more if they caught me." (p. 180) I think this quote that Holden is saying is that he wants to be found so that he won't have to sneak around anymore and lie about every little thing. I think it is coming to him that he wants to be open and known.. he wants attention, but he isn't getting it.
So is Holden really alone and depressed as he may seem in the book? Does he commit certain actions for attention? 

2 comments:

  1. I think Holden is really alone. I feel like if he just wanted attention he would be around more people who could give him attention, like any high school he could go to. I agree when he says he wants to be caught, he just wants to stop running from his problems, but I do not think he wants attention. I think his weird attitude changes that seem attention seeking, might just be part of his mental illnesses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I don't think Holden is depressed or seeking attention. I think in his mind, the wild things he tries are in his mind part of the adult world. As Holden tries to grow up and figure out how to be an adult, He feels like he needs to try these things to learn about the new world he is approaching.

    ReplyDelete